Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 3: Living in the Present

"Living in the present."  That was my ephipany at about 3:30am when I couldn't go back to sleep because the people who pulled into my old spot woke me up coming in at 12:30am.

It's days like today here I am extremely thankful for Otterbox.  (Thank contributors!!)   I am typing on the beach where the wind is brutal and the waves look even more brutal.  Apparently I showed up at the right time.  This week is the US eastern surfing championship and I am beyond stoked.  For those of you who know me well, you know I have stumbled upon heaven.  I have been in love with this sport for as long as I can remember.  As a child, among other things like Naval Aviator and beautician, I wanted to be a surfer.  I tried I once when I was 30, at this very spot nonetheless.  However for now, I will live vicariously through others.  Perhaps I'll pick it up, but that water...unbelievably brutal.

Oh my god, wind surfing!!  That's where it's at.  This guy is floating on the water. He knows what it's like to fly...over a wave to glide down the next.  What a beautiful sight!

God I wish I had a great camera right about now.  Four mennonite women were mezmrized watching the wind surfer.  When he got out, they walked up to talk to him.  If only I could zoom from here.

So beers with Ollie was interesting.  The conversation began with small talk...so where's Petersburg and how many kids do you have. It quickly progressed into politics.  Ollie doesn't want a Muslim in the White House.  I really was not anticipating political discussion to happen so soon, and it threw me for a curve ball.  "Well Ollie," I said, "last time I heard, Obama was a
Christian and goes to a Christian church."  "Well maybe I'm just among the brainwashed, then," he responded.  I asked him what he had against Muslims and he said he didn't, he just didn't think one belonged in the White House.  Man, I'm thought about how amazing the Right propaganda machine is and that perhaps I should take some lessons so I can better ward off this conversation. Instead, I just told Ollie that I think we (people who believe in a higher power no matter what it be called) have a lot more in common than he thinks.  The topic somehow changed to music.  I think I asked him if he knew of anyplace where I might be able to book a gig.  By the look on his face, he was surprised I knew how to play the guitar.  He asked what I played and I told him a lot of old country tunes.  When I mentioned Kris Kristofferson, he busted out into the first stanza of "Jesus was a Capricorn," which I found ironic considering our previous discussion on Obama.  "'Cause everybody's gotta have somebody to look down on...". That line is stuck in my head.  I've only ever sung along with Chet on that tune...guess I'll have to learn it so I can dedicate it to Ollie, the Obama hater.

Here come the Mennonite ladies again.  Only this time, the surf caught them by suprise and they are giddily trompling through it, laughing.

They make me smile.

1 comment: